Social Security

Social Security Office Locator*
Click the map to find the closest location to you.

Why Do You Need One?

You need a Social Security number to get a job, collect Social Security benefits and get some other government services. But you don't often need to show your Social Security card. Do not carry your card with you. Keep it in a safe place with your other important papers.

You May Be Able To Apply for A Replacement Card Online

You can use a my Social Security account to apply for a replacement Social Security card online if you:

  • Are a U.S. citizen age 18 or older with a U.S. mailing address (this includes APO, FPO, and DPO addresses);

  • Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card; and

  • Have a valid driver's license or a state-issued identification card from one of the following:

    • Arizona (driver's license only);

    • District of Columbia (driver's license only);

    • Idaho (driver's license only);

    • Iowa;

    • Kentucky;

    • Maryland;

    • Michigan;

    • Mississippi;

    • Nebraska;

    • North Dakota (driver's license only);

    • New Mexico;

    • Pennsylvania;

    • South Dakota;

    • Washington; or

    • Wisconsin (driver's license only).


Sign In or Create an Account

If you do not qualify to apply online for a card, please follow the instructions in the next section.


How To Get A New, Replacement Or Corrected Card

1 LEARN what documents you need

2 FILL OUT & PRINT an application

3 TAKE OR MAIL this information to us


All documents submitted must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

Get a certified copy of a document showing a birth, marriage or divorce that took place in the United States.



If you are filing an application on behalf of someone else, you also must show us evidence of your relationship to, or responsibility for, that person. You must also show us proof of your identity.

Documents That You Need


U.S. birth certificate or a U.S. passport.


You must present your birth certificate. If one exists, you must submit it. If a birth certificate does not exist, we may be able to accept your:

  • Religious record made before the age of 5 showing your date of birth;

  • U.S. hospital record of your birth; or

  • U.S. passport



We can accept only certain documents as proof of identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age) and preferably a recent photograph. For example, as proof of identity Social Security must see your:

  • U.S. driver's license;

  • State-issued non-driver identification card; or

  • U.S. passport.


We may use one document for two purposes. For example, we may use your U.S. passport as proof of both citizenship and identity. However, you must provide at least two separate documents.


You must present original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies. All documents must be current (not expired). We cannot accept a receipt showing you applied for the document.

The Social Security Administration in South Carolina has locations in: Aiken, Anderson, Beaufort, Bennettsville, Charleston, Clinton, Columbia, Conway, Florence, Georgetown, Greenville, Greenwood, 

Orange burg, Rock Hill, Spartanburg, Sumter, Walterboro.  Click here or the map above for address information.  

Questions related with social security numbers or claims information should be directed to SSA's toll free service at 1-800-772-1213 or toll free TDD service at 1-800-325-0778from 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m., business days.

© 2023 by Coach.Corp. Proudly created with

SC Quick Link Resource Categories